A new magazine targeted at working-class and self-employed professionals, launching in May 2011, requires the services of an experienced editor.
Aside Reporting directly to the publisher, he/she will:
1. Be responsible for creating the editorial product, issue after issue.
2. Ensure that the content and the way it is presented satisfies the readers, in line with the magazine’s editorial mission and style guide.
3. Lead the creative efforts of the rest of the magazine’s staff, including writers, art director, photographers, and illustrators, etc
4. Be responsible for such things as searching for freelancers, assigning briefs and ensuring manuscripts are submitted as and when due. He/she will also ensure manuscripts submitted are in line with the magazine’s writers’ style guide.
5. Be responsible for fact checking, language strengthening, styling and trimming of articles to their optimum length.
6. Manage the magazine, including its people and resources, as the de-facto managing editor.
1. Be a good writer who understands standard reporting and be able to offer practical help to the magazine’s writers, freelancers, and staffers alike. Magazine journalism experience will be a huge plus.
2. Be a wordsmith. He/she must know the language appropriate for the magazine and appreciate the precision of words, whether in text or titles or wherever else in the magazine.
3. Have an eye for illustration and design, to help ensure that the words – the text of the content – are displayed and presented to readers in an attractive, interest-arresting way.
4. Understand the audience – working and self-employed professionals, ages 21 – 47.
5. Be or become skillful particularly in the areas of planning, budgeting and fiscal management.
6. Have business writing background. Areas of interest include career, entrepreneurship, work, business and personal profiling, personal finance, book reviews, etc.
7. Have the right attitude. He/she must understand what it takes or be willing to work and lead others in a start-up environment.
To be negotiated, depending on how well the candidate meets the above requirements.
Only QUALIFIED Candidates should send in their CV, showing in clear terms how they meet the stated requirements, to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.